A number of print-your-own customized 3D printed jewelry projects have launched recently, including Suuz.com in the Netherlands. Shapeways has now shared its own Custom Ring Creator web app to bring the 3D printing service’s wide variety of materials to the table for generating abstract, pleasing jewelry from uploaded patterns:
Today, we’re really excited to announce our new Custom Ring Creator app, which allows anyone to make their own ring in minutes. You can personalize existing ring templates as well as create and customize a completely unique design of your own. It’s easy to change the pattern, size, height and even add engraving. For all the illustrators out there who want to hold their drawings in their hands, now’s your chance. Just upload your jpeg and wrap it around the ring! To get you started, some members of our community have already created some great example patterns.
Built on top of our new API, the app is pretty intuitive, but for anyone interested in the specs, here’s whats possible…
- Customize existing template patterns or create and upload your own pattern with a jpg image
- Adjust ring measurements such as size, height, background, and thickness with easy to use sliders
- Size = Slider that uses US jewelers sizes in a range of 4-14 to pick the diameter of the ring. (Find your US ring size here)
- Height = “Width” of the ring
- Background = “Thickness” of the ring band (if applied behind the pattern)
- Thickness = “Thickness” of the pattern, or how high the pattern will sit off the band
- Add borders to the ring by adjusting top and bottom border sliders
- Engrave rings with a solid background with your custom text
- Choose a material that fits your budget including sterling silver
- Check your ring for printability instantaneously through our printability visualization tool
In addition to being a fun app that all of us in the office can’t stop playing with, the Custom Ring Creator shows off some new technology that our community of makers and shop owners have been asking for, including wall thickness and printability visualization. And for you API users out there, the Ring Creator’s documentation is available on GitHub. Head over to the forums for more info.
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.