I make kits so I’m always interested in seeing what other people have up their sleeves. For my bike stereo last year I used 2 class-d amps based on the TPA3001D (1 x 20W). This year, I bought 2 AMP3 kits from 41Hz. Each kit drives 2 x 25W which is perfect since I have one speaker on each handlebar. They are designed to run on a 12V SLA battery (up to 14.5V input).
Stuff I liked about the kit:
- Silkscreened, soldermasked PCB for easy assembly
- Lots of thruhole vias, heavyweight copper
- Winding the toroids was totally painless
- Chip works great!
- Has a configurable pre-amp that is good enough to take line-level input
Stuff that was a little annoying
- PCB came with copper shorts, apparently a fluke but still frustrated me 🙁
- 0805 parts: Why? 1206 would be much easier! (Jan says the particular resistors were thin film and only available in 0805 although I’m still a little suspicious…)
- Output connection and power connection is adjacent for no particular reason, and holes are much too small for speakergauge wire. I think having large speaker-style terminal blocks for the speaker outputs would be a reasonable design upgrade.
- If you’re going to use 2oz copper, have thermals! Soldering this requires a very powerful iron which also needs to have a fine tip. That’s a bit of an oxymoron.
Overall: I give this kit a B+ Its a great design, with only a few technical issues. At $25 for 2 channels of 25W classD action, its a mega-bargain!
Have a suggestion for a kit to review? Comment here or send me email:
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — How Authority and Decision-Making Differ Across Cultures
Wearables — Skin adherence
Electronics — LED Basics!
Biohacking — Stretchable EEG Temporary Tattoos
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.