RGBike POV – Open project… Hazzard writes –
I’ve always wanted a POV for my bicycle, specially a full colour POV capable of displaying text, images and small animations!
There are some cool POVs commercially available.
- SpokePOV from adafruit industries (and its i’ble)
- Monkeylectric’s m132s
- Monkeylectric’s recentely announced m464q
Unfortunately, the SpokePOV is only one colour, and the m132s, as I understand, doesn’t have the ability to display images. Besides, I think these are a little too expensive for something that I will not use often.
So I though I would try to make my own with components I already had around. This way I don’t have to spend any more money to try and play with a bicycle POV.
This project features:
- 16 RGB (Red+Green+Blue) Light Emitting Diodes;
- Arduino compatibility (Suposedely, I’ll have to check that later);
- Single layer printed circuit board, suitable for home fab;
- All through hole componentes, suitable for beginners;
- Hall effect sensor, for image synchronization;
- Least number of componentes possible;
- Unfortunately, only one side of the wheel is illuminated (check update).
- Fits 26″ wheels, I haven’t had opportunity to try it in 20″ and 24″ wheels.
This project is also a open project. Anyone who wishes to participate is welcome. The contributions will be added to this instructable and published.
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — “The Secret Culprit in the Theranos Mess”
Wearables — Cereal box to cosplay
Electronics — Counting Pin Numbers
Biohacking — “Doctor Ready to Perform First Human Head Transplant”
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.