Standard LCD 16×2 + extras in the Adafruit store… Standard HD44780 LCDs are useful for creating standalone projects and we’ve got’em!
- 16 characters wide, 2 rows
- White text on blue background
- Connection port is 0.1″ pitch, single row for easy breadboarding and wiring
- Pins are documented on the back of the LCD to assist in wiring it up
- Single LED backlight included can be dimmed easily with a resistor or PWM and uses much less power than LCD with EL (electroluminescent) backlights
- Can be fully controlled with only 6 digital lines!
- Built in character set supports most English/European/Japanese text, see the HD44780 datasheet for the full character set
- Up to 8 extra characters can be created for custom glyphs or ‘foreign’ language support
- Comes with necessary contrast potentiometer and strip of header
For more information, check out this datasheet with useful stuff like the character map. To use with an Arduino, we suggest using our updated LiquidCrystal library. This one is faster, more complete, uses 1 less pin and is works with more LCDs.
To use, connect pin 1 (GND) to ground, pin 2 (VDD) to +5V, pin 3 (Vo) to the middle of the pot, pin 4 (RS) to Arduino pin 7, pin 5 (RW) to ground, pin 6 (E) to Arduino pin 8, leave pins 7-10 disconnected, pin 11 thru 14 (DB4-DB7) to Arduino pins 9 thru 12, pin 15 (BL+) to +5V and pin 16 (BL-) to ground. See For a detailed photo if you’re having difficulty
Then delete the old LiquidCrystal library in Arduino/hardware/libraries and in its place copy the updated LiquidCrystal library. Now in the IDE select the LiquidCrystal->CustomChars example sketch to see the image above! (You may need to adjust the contrast pot.)
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — UPS begins testing emergency drone deliveries with CyPhy
Wearables — Make that prop functional
Electronics — Have you met Charlie?
Biohacking — The MATIA Project Assists The Blind and Those with Memory Loss
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.