The Humane Personal Computer combines the ease of Arduino development with the excitement of a classic stand-alone television-and-keyboard PC.
The novel design of the Humane PC offloads the complex NTSC/PAL video signal generation to a second dedicated AVR microcontroller. This makes writing video applications on the main microcontroller a breeze – as easy as writing text and VT52 control codes to the serial port, thanks to firmware from the TellyMate project.
A third AVR microcontroller is dedicated to implementation of a USB device, thanks to the AVR V-USB Project. The default firmware pemits programming the device over a serial port, using the Arduino bootloader, without the need for any hardware programmer. However the USB microcontroller can be used to implement any USB device profile, or used as a co-processor for general use.
The Humane PC comes with number of integrated peripherals to play with, including a Micro-SD Card reader, a PWM audio out device, four buttons, an IR receiver and transmitter, and a PS/2 keyboard connector.
- 3 Atmega328p Microcontrollers – one for video, one for USB, and one for general computing.
- NTSC/PAL composite video output for display on any TV
- B&W 38×25 character text or simple graphics display
- VT52 + H19 video terminal emulation
- Accepts PS/2 Keyboard
- Micro-SD Card Reader
- PWM Audio output
- Completely Open Source design
- Infrared LED and reciever
- Micro-USB powered
- Fully programmable USB controller (atmega328p) allows use as a variety of USB slave devices
- Main MCU is serial programmable via USB
- Expansion headers compatible with most Arduino expansion shields
- 4 input buttons
- Optional aluminum case with powder coat finish
- Programable using C/C++ libraries, or via Arudino IDE
- Uses Tellymate Project code for vt52 video output
- Uses AVR V-USB firmware to implement a USB device
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — HOW ANKER IS BEATING APPLE AND SAMSUNG AT THEIR OWN ACCESSORY GAME
Wearables — Spooky liquids
Electronics — The deets on Electret Microphones
Biohacking — Mind-Controlled Spermatozoa
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.