NEW PRODUCT – Hacking the Xbox, An Introduction to Reverse Engineering by Andrew “bunnie” Huang. This hands-on guide to hacking was canceled by the original publisher, Wiley, out of fear of DMCA-related lawsuits. After a period of direct distribution by the author, “Hacking the Xbox” is brought to you by the No Starch Press and now at Adafruit. The book begins with a few step-by-step tutorials on hardware modifications that teaches basic hacking techniques as well as essential reverse engineering skills. The book progresses into a discussion of the Xbox security mechanisms and other advanced hacking topics, with an emphasis on educating the readers on the important subjects of computer security and reverse engineering. Hacking the Xbox includes numerous practical guides, such as where to get hacking gear, soldering techniques, debugging tips and an Xbox hardware reference guide.
“Although it’s a technical book, it unfolds like a spy novel.” –SLASHDOT (more reviews!)
If you’re looking for a book on how to reverse engineer, this is the best, from the best.
“Hacking the Xbox” confronts the social and political issues facing today’s hacker. The book introduces readers to the humans behind the hacks through several interviews with master hackers.
“Hacking the Xbox” looks forward and discusses the impact of today’s legal challenges on legitimate reverse engineering activities. The book includes a chapter written by the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) about the rights and responsibilities of hackers, and concludes by discussing the latest trends and vulnerabilities in secure PC platforms.
This book contains Xbox security secrets, hardware mod tutorials, interviews with master hackers and the chilling effects of the DMCA. A perfect book for that reverse engineer in your life, or for yourself!
- Chapter 1: Voiding The Warranty
- Chapter 2: Thinking Inside The Box
- Chapter 3: Installing a Blue LED
- Chapter 4: Building a USB Adapter
- Chapter 5: Replacing a Broken Power Supply
- Chapter 6: The Best Xbox Game: Security Hacking
- Chapter 7: A Brief Primer on Security
- Chapter 8: Reverse Engineering Xbox Security
- Chapter 9: Sneaking In the Back Door
- Chapter 10: More Hardware Projects
- Chapter 11: Developing Software for the Xbox
- Chapter 12: Caveat Hacker
- Chapter 13: Onward!
- Appendix A: Where to Get Your Hacking Gear
- Appendix B: Soldering Techniques
- Appendix C: Getting Into PCB Layout
- Appendix D: Getting Started with FPGAs
- Appendix E: Debugging: Hints and Tips
- Appendix F: Xbox Hardware Reference