We saw this letter from Dan titled “An Open Letter to NYC Media” – he points out there is a lot of great companies and engineering going in NYC, it’s a challenge, and that’s a good story.
Here’s a list of the companies/orgs doing some type of hardware & engineering in the “maker” space…
- Adafruit Industries – Open source hardware maker
- Boxee – Ok, not open source hardware – but pretty close, Boxee was originally a fork of the free and open source XBMC.
- BugLabs – Open source hardware makers
- EYEBEAM – Launched many Open source hardware projects and fellowships (GRL, etc)
- MAKE magazine – has an office in NYC and a NYC Maker Faire
- MakerBot Industries – Open source hardware maker
- NYU ITP – Home of Tom Igoe, one of the Arduino core team members
- Open Source Hardware summit was held in NYC in 2010
- Secret Labs, LLC – makers of the netduino, an open source hardware platform
If you expanded it out a bit more, you’ll get dozens of companies like ETSY, BurdaStyle and entire industry of crafts, artisan and manufacturing. There are hacker spaces, and more! Great things are happening here. If we missed any please let us know.