Abe wrote in to tell us about his open-source sous-vide kit, called Ember Kit. He writes:
This is a picture of everything you will get with the Ember Kit. The round holes in the face are double-drilled, but both will be completely covered (one by the knob, one by a sticker).
The Ember Kit is a box for controlling a heater (or cooler, or whatever) to maintain the temperature precisely. It uses a chip with the Arduino bootloader to switch the heater on/off according to a dynamic PID control algorithm. It does the switching with a solid state relay (can switch up to 10 A) and reads the temperature with a voltage divider and thermistor.
Some features of the Ember Kit:
- Solid state: A solid state relay with integrated heatsink can switch up to 10 A and is built to last. No moving parts, no clicking noises.
- Precision Thermistor: For the highest accuracy, we include a submersible thermistor and shielded high-temperature cable.
- Arduino-based code: Easily program the controller with an FTDI cable. This means you can have the temperature follow any profile, and it can interface with the computer via USB for data logging and dynamic control.
- Custom enclosure face: We’ve already cut holes in the enclosure face to fit the display and knob. You hack it onto your heating device however you want.
- All through-hole components: Soldering is easy!
- Flexible sensor input: Optional bridge and amplifier circuit allows use of Pt-100 RTD probes, any thermocouple, or any voltage/resistance sources available.
- International: Compatible with 120V and 240V power.
- Open-source: All the EAGLE files and source code are available online.
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — Raspberry Pi and CoderDojo Join Forces
Wearables — Gold glow
Electronics — Linear Love
Biohacking — Nike’s Unlimited Stadium Will Put Your Best Foot Forward
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.