November 5, 2011 is the 66th anniversary of the first FM transmission in 1935 from Yonkers, NY, by Carmen “Randy” Runyon W2XAG. On Saturday, a network of Tesla special event ham radio stations will be on the air helping to raise awareness of the effort to purchase the Wardencyffe laboratory and restore it into a science museum. A list of the stations is below:
- N3Y – New Yorker Hotel, Tesla’s last home in Manhattan SAT (satellite) and possibly HF (1:30-5:30 pm EST)
- W0RAA, W0EM, WV7T, and KG7UFO – Colorado Springs home of Tesla’s lab that served as a prototype for Wardenclyffe!
- W2XAG – The Yonkers PAL Amateur Radio Club will be transmitting a few blocks away from the original station which sent the first FM transmission in 1935 using the same call W2XAG.
- W3T – Wardenclyffe, Shoreham NY, Nikola Tesla’s last laboratory on 40/30/20 SSB/CW
- YU0TESLA – Tesla Museum, Belgrade 20 meters and other HF bands
If you are able to make contact with these stations, you will be able to collect some of these great Tesla QSL cards. But don’t forget, you need a license to operate a ham radio.
Stop breadboarding and soldering – start making immediately! Adafruit’s Circuit Playground is jam-packed with LEDs, sensors, buttons, alligator clip pads and more. Build projects with Circuit Playground in a few minutes with the drag-and-drop MakeCode programming site, learn computer science using the CS Discoveries class on code.org, jump into CircuitPython to learn Python and hardware together, or even use Arduino IDE. Circuit Playground Express is the newest and best Circuit Playground board, with support for MakeCode, CircuitPython, and Arduino. It has a powerful processor, 10 NeoPixels, mini speaker, InfraRed receive and transmit, two buttons, a switch, 14 alligator clip pads, and lots of sensors: capacitive touch, IR proximity, temperature, light, motion and sound. A whole wide world of electronics and coding is waiting for you, and it fits in the palm of your hand.
Have an amazing project to share? The Electronics Show and Tell with Google Hangouts On-Air is every Wednesday at 7:30pm ET! To join, head over to YouTube and check out the show’s live chat – we’ll post the link there.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Maker Business — SiFive is a startup to pay attention to. RISC-5 is here to stay.
Wearables — Swatch it up
Electronics — Code like everyone’s watching
Biohacking — Stroboscopic Visual Training
Python for Microcontrollers — CircuitPython takes flight! All aboard with datum, Bluefruit CPX, and more! #Python #Adafruit #CircuitPython #PythonHardware @circuitpython @micropython @ThePSF @Adafruit
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.