It’s easy to add EL wire to furniture! Welted EL wire is great for applying with a stapler while standard EL wire makes great upholstery piping. Learn both techniques, as well as soldering to make easy-connect sections (if your couch is a sectional). Video on YouTube and Vimeo.
For this couch I used:
- High Brightness Aqua Electroluminescent (EL) Wire – 2.5 meters
- Sewable Electroluminscent (EL) Wire Welted Piping- Aqua 5 meters
- In-line wire 1-to-4 splitter
- In-line power wire connector (female)
- In-line power wire connector (male)
- 12V EL wire/tape inverter
- 12V 5A switching power supply
- Female DC Power adapter
- copper tape (found in one of our starter packs)
While I don’t recommend sewing the welted EL wire by hand, it would make great pillow piping on a sewing machine project, and staples like a dream.
If you liked this tutorial, also check out our EL wire TRON-inspired bag project.