Using the Adafruit SD card to load a Linux distribution onto the Raspberry Pi couldn’t be easier. It’s nothing like the mid-90’s Linux experience of painstakingly writing 20+ floppy disks. Which leads to a all night long installation process. Following these instructions and you will be looking at a raspberry pi command line in less than 20 minutes.
Note: there are other linux distributions for raspberry pi, but debian squeeze is the recommended version at the moment.
The following example uses the ‘dd’ UNIX utility on a OS/X system. The process of loading the SD Card on Linux is almost identical except for device names. Windows users should use win32 disk imager. Different techniques for loading SD Cards is available here.
– Extract the image:
$ unzip ~/Downloads/debian6-19-04-2012.zip
– Verify the image is not corrupt:
$ shasum debian6-19-04-2012/debian6-19-04-2012.img
$ cat debian6-19-04-2012/debian6-19-04-2012.img.sha1
– Plug-in and find the Find the MicroSD card device name:
* Note: if nothing shows up it probably means your card reader is too old and not SDHC compatible
– Find the SD Card
$ df -H | grep Vol
/dev/disk1s1 3.9G 639k 3.9G 1% /Volumes/NO NAME
– Unmount device (you must unmount to write!)
$ diskutil unmount “NO NAME”
– write to raw device disk1s1 –> rdisk1s1
$ sudo dd bs=1m if=debian6-19-04-2012/debian6-19-04-2012.img of=/dev/rdisk1
(takes about 6 minutes with no output until complete)
– After the dd command finishes, sync & eject the card:
$ diskutil eject /dev/rdisk1
– Insert card, plug-in HDMI cable to a monitor, usb keyboard and power to see the raspi boot
* Username: pi
* Password: raspberry
– add a mouse and try running X if you want a graphical interface
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — “Inside One of the World’s Most Secretive iPhone Factories”
Wearables — With aging comes beauty
Electronics — Breadboard Capacitance
Biohacking — “1 Minute of All-Out Exercise May Have Benefits of 45 Minutes of Moderate Exertion”
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.