You may think of Android as an OS for phones and tablets, but Google’s ambitions run deeper. They’re pitching it as a platform that could run on all kinds of devices. To get developers on board with that plan, the company announced an update to the Android Accessory Development Kit (ADK) 2012 at Google I/O.
That’s an Arduino-compatible in there, official page here.
The ADK 2012 is based on the Arduino open source electronics prototyping platform and is an open hardware design. The hardware design files and firmware source code are included with the ADK software download. The ADK contains two main physical hardware components:
- Main processing board containing the microprocessor, USB connections, power connector and input/output pins. This board can be removed and used separately from the rest of the hardware.
- Shield containing sensors, LEDs, input controls, audio amplifier and speaker output, contained in a custom, polygon box enclosure.
The main hardware features of the ADK are as follows:
- An ARM 32-bit Cortex M3 micro-processor
- Separate USB connections for an Android device and computer connection for programming and debugging
- Sensors for light, color, proximity, temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, and acceleration
- Micro SD Card slot
- Bluetooth support
The ADK comes preloaded with an alarm clock firmware program that you can use immediately. A companion Android application, ADK 2012, is available on Google Play. The source code for both the Android application and the ADK firmware (an Arduino sketch) can be downloaded from this page.
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — “Finally — some data on whether crowdfunding is a good investment or not”
Wearables — Sample code is your new best friend
Electronics — Meaningful gains
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.