BACK IN STOCK – NeTV Starter Pack. Get your NeTV on with this full pack that includes everything you need to start!
This complete kit contains:
- NeTV PCB board and IR remote
- NeTV plastic enclosure kit: This is the plastic enclosure for an NeTV PCB. This lovely little box is made of two injection molded halves, a soft rubber anti-slip bottom, and a small baggie of screws. Assembly is simple and only takes a few minutes. Attach the NeTV using the short screws to the bottom plate. Remove the paper backing from the antenna and stick to the underside of the top piece, then fit the large top over it and snap in place. Screw in the 4 longer screws from the bottom. Finish by applying the rubber mat piece to the bottom to hide the screws. You’re done!
- 5V 1A USB power supply
- MicroUSB cable
- HDMI cable
NeTV is the first offering from the brand new Sutajio Ko-Usagi, the Open Source Hardware company led by “bunnie” Huang. bunnie is best known as the author of “Hacking the XBox” and was the lead hardware engineer of the chumby internet alarm clock. So, it is no surprise that his latest invention, conceived in chumby industries’ Singapore office and brought to you by Sutajio Ko-Usagi, is a fully open source HDTV peripheral which brings WiFi Internet
and Android mobile interfacing to any HDMI TV!
NeTV is available here in bare board form with an optional DIY plastics kit! This package does not have the enclosure fully assembled with the PCB, you will have to snap the NeTV into its case, a 5-10 minute task. This package contains the NeTV assembled and tested board, IR remote (to control the NeTV from your couch), a Micro-USB cable (to connect/power the NeTV), a 5V 1A USB power supply (to power the board), and an HDMI cable (to connect it to the HDTV)
The system also features a convenient HTTP API which uses POST commands to issue events to the screen and control device behavior. This, combined with zeroconf discoverability via Bonjour, makes integrating NeTV with other networked devices (such as your smartphone or laptop) a snap.
FPGA geeks take note! NeTV does video compositing with an FPGA. The FPGA is managed using a convenient set of built-in command-line tools. You can modify the NeTV’s video processing capability using Xilinx’s free Webkit development environment. Or, you can repurpose the FPGA for entirely new functionality; the sky’s the limit!
Summary of development environment options for NeTV:
- Remote control using iOS/Android reference apps via HTTP API
- Command line and kernel development via downloadable gcc environment, or via cloud-based “pre-built” Amazon EC2 environment.
- Verilog/VHDL hardware development on FPGA via Xilinx Webpack tools
- Solder-and-screws hardware development enabled via open source hardware stack
Need more? Here’s a video with an overview: