RiderCool – an Arduino/Adafruit Pool Management System
One of Adafruit’s favorite makers, Kristopher, has another absolutely amazing project to share with us.
RiderCool has many purposes:
1. Provide a technology platform for managing the pool with native XBee Network Protocol (XNP) support for sending data back for logging and to receive commands from a control router.
2. To measure how full our pool is, and report that data back to my computer using my XBee Network Protocol (XNP) for logging and tracking (http://sojournstudio.org/xnp/)
3. To activate a solenoid/valve that is connected to a garden hose, which will fill the pool with water.
4. To monitor, track and report-back the flow-rate of water going into the pool using an Adafruit flow-meter sensor (https://www.adafruit.com/products/828).
5. To monitor the temperature of the pool water, the ambient air, as well as ther CPU temp (https://www.adafruit.com/products/339), (https://www.adafruit.com/products/372)
6. To monitor a backup water-level sensor to ensure that the pool never over-flows.
7. To drive/control 4 RGB LED Strip controllers by Jeremy Saglimbeni; I have 40 meters of LED RGB Strip ringing-the pool. (http://thecustomgeek.com/2012/03/23/rgb … r-ver-2-2/)
8. To displays the output of these sensors, LED status, etc on an Adafruit 1.8′ TFT display for swimmers in the pool to see. (https://www.adafruit.com/products/358)
9. To provide button control resetting the system and controlling the RGB LED Strips using LED water-proof lights by Adafruit. (https://www.adafruit.com/products/482)
10. To teach me 3D printing – as this is my first 3D printing project with my MakerBot Replicator! (http://store.makerbot.com/replicator.html).
RiderCool was only possible because of the excellent products, tutorials and service that +Limor Fried and her company Adafruit Industries provides to its customers, and I have become a dedicated fan over the 1.5 years I’ve been making. With this project I got to learn 3D printing and got some real use out of my years in Blender training. I also got to combine different products in a completely water-proof system. Now that it’s done, of course, the summer is over and its nearly time to close the pool down. But building this helped me through alot of dark days this summer.
We are angry, frustrated, and in pain because of the violence and murder of Black people by the police because of racism. We are in the fight AGAINST RACISM. George Floyd was murdered, his life stolen. The Adafruit teams have specific actions we’ve done, are doing, and will do together as a company and culture. We are asking the Adafruit community to get involved and share what you are doing. The Adafruit teams will not settle for a hash tag, a Tweet, or an icon change. We will work on real change, and that requires real action and real work together. That is what we will do each day, each month, each year – we will hold ourselves accountable and publish our collective efforts, partnerships, activism, donations, openly and publicly. Our blog and social media platforms will be utilized in actionable ways. Join us and the anti-racist efforts working to end police brutality, reform the criminal justice system, and dismantle the many other forms of systemic racism at work in this country, read more @ adafruit.com/blacklivesmatter
Stop breadboarding and soldering – start making immediately! Adafruit’s Circuit Playground is jam-packed with LEDs, sensors, buttons, alligator clip pads and more. Build projects with Circuit Playground in a few minutes with the drag-and-drop MakeCode programming site, learn computer science using the CS Discoveries class on code.org, jump into CircuitPython to learn Python and hardware together, TinyGO, or even use the Arduino IDE. Circuit Playground Express is the newest and best Circuit Playground board, with support for CircuitPython, MakeCode, and Arduino. It has a powerful processor, 10 NeoPixels, mini speaker, InfraRed receive and transmit, two buttons, a switch, 14 alligator clip pads, and lots of sensors: capacitive touch, IR proximity, temperature, light, motion and sound. A whole wide world of electronics and coding is waiting for you, and it fits in the palm of your hand.