UPDATED PRODUCT – Bus Pirate – BPv3.6. Interfacing a new microchip can be a hassle. Breadboarding a circuit, writing code, hauling out the programmer, or maybe even prototyping a PCB. We never seem to get it right on the first try.
The ‘Bus Pirate’ is a universal bus interface that talks to most chips from a PC serial terminal, eliminating a ton of early prototyping effort when working with new or unknown chips. Many serial protocols are supported at 0-5.5volts, more can be added.
Adafruit is the official US distributor of Ian Lesnet’s Bus Pirate, each purchase directly supports Dangerous Prototypes! You may also want to pick up a probe set.
1-Wire, I2C, SPI, JTAG, asynchronous serial (UART), MIDI, PC keyboard, HD44780 LCDs, and generic 2- and 3-wire libraries for custom protocols.
- USB interface, USB powered
- 0-5.5volt tolerant pins
- 0-6volt measurement probe
- 1Hz-40MHz frequency measurement
- 1kHz – 4MHz pulse-width modulator, frequency generator
- On-board multi-voltage pull-up resistors
- On-board 3.3volt and 5volt power supplies with software reset
- Macros for common operations
- Bus traffic sniffers (SPI, I2C)
- A bootloader for easy USB firmware updates
- Transparent USB->serial bridge mode
- 10Hz-1MHz low-speed logic analyzer
- Custom support in AVRDUDE, Flashrom
- AVR STK500 v2 programmer clone
- Scriptable from Perl, Python, etc.
- Translations (currently Spanish and Italian)
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — “ANSWERS TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT REGISTERED AIR PARCEL”
Wearables — Let me see that fancy footwear
Electronics — LED overload? Psst. I’ll let you in on a secret.
Biohacking — We Have to Talk about CRISPR
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.