We’ve updated the WebIDE to 0.2.0. This is a fairly large release with most features being changed behind the scenes. The biggest change is a more robust, and faster installer. It can still take 3-4 minutes, but that’s down from 10-15!
The core of the editor has changed, so there won’t be a direct update for this from the previous alpha release. You’ll want to follow the instructions at the end of this post to get the latest version.
Here are some of the highlights of this release:
- New installer to resolve the majority of the issues in our first Alpha that folks ran into.
- Reduce memory consumption by 10-20mb.
- Run on port 80 instead of 3000. You can now simply type in “http://raspberrpypi.local”.
- Experimental /config page to change your hostname and wifi ssid and password (wifi only on Occidentalis thus far).
- Notification of activity while creating files and folders. Now you know it’s working!
- No longer tied to ‘pi’ user, creates a new ‘webide’ user as part of the installation.
- Various bug fixes.
To install this new editor, you’ll want to completely remove your old editor, and run the installation script again.
- Ensure that your code is safely saved in your repository at bitbucket.org.
- Uninstall using the following script
- curl https://raw.github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-WebIDE/release/scripts/uninstall.sh | sh
- Either make sure there are no rogue node processes running, or restart your Pi.
- Install the new and improved WebIDE
- curl https://raw.github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-WebIDE/alpha/scripts/install.sh | sudo sh
If you’re curious as to what the installatin process is doing, you can easily review the script in our repository.
Please note: In order to easily access GPIO pins, the new ‘webide’ user has the same permissions as the default ‘pi’ user (sudo). If possible, a future release will remove sudo access as we improve the editor.
Please file any issues you run into, and we’ll do our best to fix them quickly.
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — Heptagon acquired RF Digital in 2016 – then ams AG gets both … @amsAnalog #makerbusiness
Wearables — Test along the way
Electronics — Lithium chemistries
Biohacking — Using the Glucose Ketone Index
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.