Now that you have a concrete idea of who your hackers are, you also know what kind of space needs they’ll have. Next, narrow down what will be done in the space. Don’t forget: there’s plenty of room to grow your space to include many different kinds of hackers as your Hackerspace matures (covered in later sections of this “How To“).
Talk to the people you’re starting the space with and make the most detailed list in a shared spreadsheet of what different hackers need to do their hacking (and keep in mind that you’ll probably be adding to this list as you get into your space).
Here’s an example of physical needs you may have on your list:
Darkroom and darkroom supplies (have your photo hacker make a list)
Air conditioned room for servers
Area for physical hack projects
Sound proof room for audio/video recording/editing
Make a robot friend with Adafruit’s CRICKIT – A Creative Robotics & Interactive Construction Kit. It’s an add-on to our popular Circuit Playground Express, FEATHER and other platforms to make and program robots with CircuitPython, MakeCode, and Arduino. Start controlling motors, servos, solenoids. You also get signal pins, capacitive touch sensors, a NeoPixel driver and amplified speaker output. It complements & extends your boards so you can still use all the goodies on the microcontroller, now you have a robotics playground as well.
6) Metal shop: Mill, lathe, bigger drill press. Oil cutter would be nice. Vacuum former. CNC Plasma cutter was mentioned.
7) Foundry. The forge itself, hammers, all the saftey equipment. The kiln goes here too. Welders are in this area.
8) Open Science Lab. containment, saftey equipment, chemicals and lab equipment. Probably look at Biocurious for this one, we don’t have one yet but slowly.
9) IT. Server racks, parts, components, networks.
10) Hangout. Bar, lounge, couches, beanbags, alcohol, barbot, blacklights.
Ventalation, power, light and dust/area separation become your big things. Music ends up at nearly every area, plus the extra unique things, like winches and lifts and secret tunnels to the darkness beneath.