NEW PRODUCT – Kovan – Open source smart robotics controller. Kovan is another offering from Sutajio Ko-Usagi, the Open Source hardware company led by Andrew ‘bunnie’ Huang. Kovan is a smart robotics controller targeted at applications that require fully autonomous operation and high levels of integration. Kovan integrates onto a single PCB all the features you need to build a self-guided robot:
- 4x 1.2A H-bridge motor drivers
- 4x servo drivers
- 8x 10-bit analog inputs (5v/3.3v selectable range)
- 8x digital I/O (5v/3.3v selectable levels)
- Rapid-prototyping headers
- 3-axis accelerometer
- 802.11b/g wifi
- 2x USB 2.0 ports
- 2x 3.3V UART (one console, one expansion)
- IR rx & demodulator
- IR tx (modulation done in FPGA)
- LCD + touchscreen connector (natively supports 3.5″ screen)
- Mono audio output
- Pushbutton and status LED indicators
- Linux core running on 800 MHz ARM w/128 MB DDR2 + microSD for firmware – FPGA co-processor enabling hard real-time control extensions & advanced image processing extensions
- Integrated 2-cell Li-Ion battery charger (C=1.5A) (note: battery or battery emulator required for proper operation)
The native development environment for Kovan is based upon OpenEmbedded, the same system used by the Beaglebone. Sutajio Ko-Usagi’s PCBA-only version of Kovan comes with C and Python support out of the box, so you can get started right away with development — no need to set up cross-compilers. For more information on the software environment, please visit Kosagi’s site.
The package offered in limited quantities at Adafruit for $249 is the Kovan main board and power supply for development use, configured as a battery emulator, intended for intermediate and advanced developers who can roll their own battery and casing solution.
This board is the heart of the 501©(3) non-profit KISS Institute for Practical Robotics’ next-generation controller, valued at $400. KIPR’s solution will come with a case, integrated battery, LCD, speaker, and an enhanced development environment suitable for entry level hobbyists and students; it will be available for purchase in January at the Botball store.
These will be in the store shortly, sign up now if you’d like to purchase one!
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — BREAKING NEWS – Raspberry Pi maker Premier Farnell bought by Avnet @Avnet
Wearables — The ultimate glue selection
Electronics — Stay disciplined with ERC
Biohacking — Ava The Fertility Tracking Bracelet
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.