In this blog post, I’ll list out the step-by-step (for the most part) process to building your very own Wifi Enabled Raspberry Pi Powered Cat/Human Feeder.
I’ve published a Google spreadsheet here, that lists the specific parts and components that you need to acquire for this project. It’s really simple, and can be easily assembled in about 4-6 hours once you have all the parts.
- Soldering Iron
- 1/2″ drill bit
- 1″ drill bit (for push button switch, optional)
- Hot glue gun + glue
- Wire cutter
Prerequisites for the build:
- Have all the parts on-hand, check out the Google spread sheet.
- Have a working and installed an OS on the Pi. Adafruit Occidentalis or Raspbian work well.
- Have the Wifi Adaptor setup and ready to go: Occidentalis or Raspbian
- Play around with the GPIO in and out on the Pi by downloading the code from my GitHub Repo
- Install the Python GPIO.PWM module: RPIO install docs
Mount the servos!
The continuous rotation servos need to be attached to the handles to rotate the flapper wheel. First thing first, test to see if the servo is powerful enough to move the flapper handle. I grabbed some gaffer tape in this case, and taped it to the front of the handle, and held on to it, while telling the servo to run….
Each Friday is PiDay here at Adafruit, be sure to check out our posts, tutorials and new Raspberry Pi related products. Have you tried the new “Adafruit Raspberry Pi Educational Linux Distro” ? It’s our tweaked distribution for teaching electronics using the Raspberry Pi. But wait, there’s more! Try our new Raspberry Pi WebIDE! The easiest way to learn programming on a Raspberry Pi.
We now have Raspberry Pi Model B with 512MB RAM in stock and shipping now!
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.