You may already be familiar with lithopanes, etched artworks that reveal an image when lit from behind. Now, we’re going to teach you how to make one.
THE PROCESS IS SIMPLE:
- Open the Customizable Lithopane in Customizer, the Thingiverse app that lets you create unique things from a set of parameters and inputs.
- Upload the photo you want and let Customizer do its thing.
- Print on your MakerBot.
FOR THE PERFECT PRINT, PAY ATTENTION TO THESE TIPS FROM THINGIVERSE HERO, TBUSER:
- Make sure your image is square. Images with other dimensions will be distorted.
- Choose a grayscale image with low contrast. A high-contrast black and white image won’t look as good.
- Use an image that is 100×100 pixels – it will result in a cleaner lithopane.
- Don’t forget to invert colors in Customizer!
- Leave the Layer Height at 0.2 and the Number of Layers at 12 for the best results.
- Print with a Layer Height of 0.2 and one shell.
- Use a light-colored filament. Yellow, White, and Natural MakerBot PLA filament work best.
You can use a photo editing tool to prep your image to make the best
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — Transforming Today’s Bad Jobs into Tomorrow’s Good Jobs
Wearables — Make metallic magic
Electronics — Inadequate volt signal
Biohacking — Arduino Based “Row Bots” Test Rowing Efficiency
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.