The second prototype of the Gel Integrated System is done. I ran a gel on it (wet tested it) today, and I am happy to say that I am ready to sell, build, and ship the first few units. There are a few minor revisions that will go out in the first few units, like a clear “lid”, and slightly different dimensions for the wire cutouts, but mostly they will be the same as what I tested today.
It is literally impossible to run this box backwards by accident, since you can only put the tray in in one direction. If you wanted to run it “backwards” you could pull the electrodes out and move them to the other side, but otherwise your DNA will always be loaded on the right side. The wells need to be wider and thinner, but setup for this part is slick and simple., and changing the width of the wells is as simple as cutting the comb out of thinner plastic.