Now that you have lots of tips for projects and getting them out and about, how about getting your at-home workbench up to speed? Here are some basic tools we recommend for everyone, so transportable, so best left at home:
Lady’s Ada’s Electronics Toolkit, at an even $100, is a reasonably priced kit for anyone making their first foray into the world of working with electronics. It has almost all of the basics, including (but not limited to), an adjustable temperature soldering iron with a stand, rosin-core solder, wire cutters and strippers, pliers, wire, and a breadboard.
If you’ve already been working for a little while, you might want to invest in a higher-end solder iron. The Digital Genuine Hakko FX-888D is the best thing we’ve seen on the market, with faster heat-up time and a smaller footprint than its predecessor, the Hakko 936.
This pocket-sized digital multimeter is low cost and simple, and can tell you, among other things, AC/DC Voltage, current, resistance, and it can run a beeping continuity test and diode test too. If you’re new to multimeters, we have a tutorial on how to use them here.
Now that even the tools to make electronics have caught up with electronics technology, you don’t have to lug breadbox-sized and elephant-weight oscilloscopes around. This pocket sized DSO Nano v3 oscilloscope trades quickness and power for size. It does the trick for troubleshooting for beginners, and it’s much more affordable than the more heavy duty options.
Who has a workbench without a screwdriver? This 65 Piece Ratchet Screwdriver and Tool Bit Set comes (of course) with a screwdriver, but also with all kinds of bits, including torx, phillips, flathead, slot, hex square and socket in a variety of sizes. It’s a good start for getting into any machine.
Adafruit for Educators! #backtoschool
Please visit our educator’s section to learn more about:
- Adafruit volume discounts and programs for educators, discounts galore!
- Adafruit electronic kits, products, Arduino & Raspberry Pi products for education, we have’em!
- Adafruit products and Arduino for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics). Used in schools!
- The Adafruit System, the best way to learn electronics!
- Adafruit iron-on “skill badges” / patches and partners, celebrate skills building!
- Resources for educators, our picks for educators!
- Adafruit for educators content on Adafruit.com, daily posts for educators!
- Circuit Playground – iPad/iPhone App For Educators, volume discounts via Apple’s edu program!
- Adafruit copyright permission for educators, educators can use them, hassle-free!
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — “The Essential Guide to Electronics in Shenzhen – Delivery Update”
Wearables — Freezer paper magic
Electronics — Emergency ferrite
Biohacking — Biohack: DMSO for Transdermal Substance Delivery
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.