The latest LED trench progress from Anthrolume:
I’ve been slowly working on the trench – a combination of software and fabrication. I’ve now got 200 LEDs installed and I can drive them with the computer from last year. In the video below, I’m sending animations from the old 250-LED suit to the 200 LEDs in the trench. Since the LEDs aren’t arranged in the same pattern as the ones in my old suit, the animations are all messed up. The point is just to ensure the LEDs work and that my new Anthrolume software works. (Remember that I now conglomerate all the animations into a single file – that was a big change to the software.)
Also you can see a “missing” column on the front of the trench. That’s intentional – that’s where the strand makes its way back up from the bottom of the trench, so that space will get filled in with LEDs later. Another happy observation is that the translucent nylon washers I’m using actually transmit some light from the barrel of the LED out through themselves, which is a pretty cool effect. I was afraid I’d miss the reflectivity of the heavy metal washers I used on AL3.0, but these nylon washers are great too.
Every Wednesday is Wearable Wednesday here at Adafruit! We’re bringing you the blinkiest, most fashionable, innovative, and useful wearables from around the web and in our own original projects featuring our wearable Arduino-compatible platform, FLORA. Be sure to post up your wearables projects in the forums or send us a link and you might be featured here on Wearable Wednesday!