Wonder Woman’s latest look was recently revealed at Comic-Con for Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice. It’s a departure from the classic look, but since it’s been decades, that only makes sense. Lizbeth went with the classic Lynda Carter look for a Halloween costume last year because her 4-year-old daughter wanted her to dress like the superhero.
After noticing the Halloween store versions weren’t accurate, she made her own outfit. She made the eagle template from gold spray-painteed vinyl and attached it to a red tube top:
After cutting out the template I then used it to cut the gold vinyl. I then put the red tube shirt on (this had to be the most difficult part because I didn’t have a mannequin) and before gluing with a hot glue gun, I placed the pieces to make sure they were on the correct place (I had help from my husband for this part). Making sure I didn’t burn myself and to not get glue on the shirt was difficult. After that was done and well glued, I then went on to the belt and did the same thing as the eagle (I cut out the pattern on card stock paper first). I ended up just gluing the top front of the belt onto the shirt so that it wouldn’t stick out and leaving the two flaps loose so I can be able to put it as tight or loose as I wanted. At the ends of the straps I sowed two pieces of Velcro to each strap and that completed my top.
Here’s how she made the cape:
As for the cape, Wonder Woman’s cape has a red side then blue and white stripes then another red stripe at the end. I got the pattern from a vampire cape I had from last year’s Halloween. I bought red, blue and white fabric (about 1.5 yard each). I cut out half the cape with red fabric and used that same pattern to cut out the blue and white fabric. I put the red aside and for the blue and white I cut out three strips. I then laid out the red (which is half the cape) then blue stripe, white stripe, blue stripe, etc. I didn’t have a sewing machine with me so I bought iron on adhesive tape. I used that to stick together the edges of each stripes. I did that carefully so that they can all be exactly the same length. This part is not so hard you just have to be patient and precise. Before I did the seam, I added a red silk string to each side to be able to tie the cape around my neck. Then I seamed all the edges. I also bought gold, blue and red stars to glue to the cape (Iron on).
Read more at Coolest Homemade Costumes.