Hacking the 15″ Hasbro Interactive R2D2 isn’t new, especially when it comes to using a Raspberry Pi to make him do all sorts of entertaining things. Still, it looked like fun, so I decided to do my own version… despite the lack of originality.
Here’s what I features I decided to include in my hack:
- Fully controllable over a wifi internet connection via a web browser. I wanted him to be my own little Mars Curiosity rover.
Webcam capabilities. I wanted to see what he sees, so that navigating him remotely over wifi to terrorize my cats would be easier.
- Video projection. Hologram technology isn’t quite there yet, but I figured his ability to project movies on a wall would still be pretty entertaining.
- Sound output, with a large bank of samples that can be played remotely on command.
- Some sort of control pad, so that I can maneuver him even if there is no wifi network within range.
- Turn him into a Roomba. Okay, not really. But wouldn’t that be awesome?
Each Friday is PiDay here at Adafruit! Be sure to check out our posts, tutorials and new Raspberry Pi related products. Adafruit has the largest and best selection of Raspberry Pi accessories and all the code & tutorials to get you up and running in no time!