At the Adafruit store, we’ve added a ton of great new HDMI-compatible displays for your Raspberry Pi or anything else with HDMI/VGA/Composite video output. But, like we said, we’ve added a ton and so it can be a little overwhelming trying to find the perfect display for your project.
Don’t fret! There’s now an ÜBERGUIDE to Adafruit’s HDMI Display category.
There’s a lot and we’ll go through each PID with details about what you get with each screen, but here’s some basic guidelines:
- There’s two essential elements to each display: resolution and size
- If the size is the same between two displays, say 7″ diagonal – you’ll pay more for higher resolution
- If the resolution is the same between two displays, say 1280×800 pixels – you’ll tend to pay more for smaller size (since the pixel density increases, which is harder to manufacture)
- You’ll pay more for more inputs – a VGA/NTSC/PAL/HDMI driver costs more than just an HDMI driver.
- Some displays can be paired with an HDMI+Audio driver. This lets you have both video and audio over one cable, but adds a little cost.
- IPS (In-Plane-Switching) looks amazing, and gives the screens a great look and wide viewing angle, but adds some cost.
We’ve tried to find a match that fits every need and budget but will keep on adding more as the demand arises. There’s also an FAQ page for questions that have come up and some more info on how to set up your driver board.
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — “Analog Devices to Buy Linear Technology for $14.8 Billion”
Wearables — Practice patience
Electronics — Look to ferrites (no, not ferrets, the European polecat) when faced with high frequency
Biohacking — TCAPS and Mary Roach on The 99% Invisible Podcast
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.