Impressive Foam Bowser Costume

bowser costume 1

Replica Props Forum user Dancin_Fool made an incredible Bowser costume last year for Halloween. The whole family dressed like characters from Mario Bros. because Dancin_Fool’s company works with Nintendo. He used foam for the build and started with pepakura files that he unwrapped and traced onto foam. He spent three months worth of evenings cutting and gluing pieces together:

The last 2 weeks was a real race to the finish. I was up until 2am almost every night trying to get all the pieces finished. I coated all the pieces with a layer of white glue to seal the foam. Then I used an elastomeric paint to build up a skin. I wanted to use latex but it was too cost prohibitive to coat the entire costume. The elastomeric paint provided a good alternative. It goes on really thick and has a lot of flexibility. I used regular interior house paint for the colors and airbrushed in the final details. For the shell I used wood filler along all the seams to try to mask the corrugated edges of the cardboard.

I had a few roadblocks right near the end. Two days before I had to have it finished I was trying to figure out why I couldn’t get the head to connect properly with the body. I realized I had completely missed building the neck for the costume. I had to quickly put together a neck. I wound up building it out of cardboard. It was probably a smart choice because it actually took the brunt of a lot of the costumes weight. I didn’t have time to coat it with anything, just a quick coat of green paint. Once I had everything together the costume wasn’t much more than a giant statue so I had to figure out two things, 1) how do I cut this thing up so that I can get inside and 2) how do I separate this thing so I have some mobility. I wound up separating the costume into 4 pieces, the body, two arms, and the legs. This worked really good for getting in and out of the costume, I could have it on and off in minutes. The big problem though was mobility. I made cuts at the knees and some strategic cuts at the feet to try and get some mobility but I couldn’t do much more than shuffle along at a snails pace. The arms worked out well, I cut the forearms off and used hot glue and duct tape at the elbows to get a fair bit of mobility. The downside though was that I have big flapping seams at the elbows. Hopefully down the line though I can fix this up with some fabric to make the seams less noticable.

bowser costume 2

bowser costume wip 1

bowser costume wip 2

Read more at The Replica Props Forum and see more photos at Facebook.

via Fashionably Geek

Adafruit publishes a wide range of writing and video content, including interviews and reporting on the maker market and the wider technology world. Our standards page is intended as a guide to best practices that Adafruit uses, as well as an outline of the ethical standards Adafruit aspires to. While Adafruit is not an independent journalistic institution, Adafruit strives to be a fair, informative, and positive voice within the community – check it out here:

Join Adafruit on Mastodon

Adafruit is on Mastodon, join in!

Stop breadboarding and soldering – start making immediately! Adafruit’s Circuit Playground is jam-packed with LEDs, sensors, buttons, alligator clip pads and more. Build projects with Circuit Playground in a few minutes with the drag-and-drop MakeCode programming site, learn computer science using the CS Discoveries class on, jump into CircuitPython to learn Python and hardware together, TinyGO, or even use the Arduino IDE. Circuit Playground Express is the newest and best Circuit Playground board, with support for CircuitPython, MakeCode, and Arduino. It has a powerful processor, 10 NeoPixels, mini speaker, InfraRed receive and transmit, two buttons, a switch, 14 alligator clip pads, and lots of sensors: capacitive touch, IR proximity, temperature, light, motion and sound. A whole wide world of electronics and coding is waiting for you, and it fits in the palm of your hand.

Have an amazing project to share? The Electronics Show and Tell is every Wednesday at 7pm ET! To join, head over to YouTube and check out the show’s live chat – we’ll post the link there.

Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!

Join over 36,000+ makers on Adafruit’s Discord channels and be part of the community!

CircuitPython – The easiest way to program microcontrollers –

Maker Business — “Packaging” chips in the US

Wearables — Enclosures help fight body humidity in costumes

Electronics — Transformers: More than meets the eye!

Python for Microcontrollers — Python on Microcontrollers Newsletter: Silicon Labs introduces CircuitPython support, and more! #CircuitPython #Python #micropython @ThePSF @Raspberry_Pi

Adafruit IoT Monthly — Guardian Robot, Weather-wise Umbrella Stand, and more!

Microsoft MakeCode — MakeCode Thank You!

EYE on NPI — Maxim’s Himalaya uSLIC Step-Down Power Module #EyeOnNPI @maximintegrated @digikey

New Products – Adafruit Industries – Makers, hackers, artists, designers and engineers! — #NewProds 7/19/23 Feat. Adafruit Matrix Portal S3 CircuitPython Powered Internet Display!

Get the only spam-free daily newsletter about wearables, running a "maker business", electronic tips and more! Subscribe at !

1 Comment

  1. Thanks for sharing my costume! It was a lot of fun to build and wear. Though a ton of work.

    I made the files available for anyone who’d like to build it. I’d love to see some other builds!

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.