Wonder Woman Costume with a Sword Made from Paint Stirrers

ww costume

Replica Props Forum user springsteel came up with an armor design that would work for both Hawkgirl and Wonder Woman. Since Worbla isn’t the cheapest material in the world, it was a way to get the most bang for the buck. She made the Wonder Woman costume first and used both Worbla and Wonderflex for the arm guards, chestplate, and greaves. She coated them with wood glue to prime the pieces (gesso didn’t work for her) and painted them with spray and acrylic paints.

The sword is the especially interesting part. She made the blade from:

…two, extra-long/heavy-duty paint stirrers from Lowes, two normal stirrers, and some wood filler. The hilt is composed of a small length of PVC with leftover Worbla for the cross-guard and Worbla + golf ball for the pommel. I have some faux leather to braid the grip with, diamond-plait style.

ww sword

People were impressed by her resourcefulness so she documented the process of making the blade from the stirrers:

1. Acquire paint stirrers! For the body of the blade I used two heavy-duty, extra-large stirrers from Lowe’s (about 2 feet long, 1.5 inches wide, and 0.25 inches thick), oriented side-by-side to give the blade a 3-inch width. This will be fortified with two small, typical paint stirrers, one on each side of the blade.

2. I used wood glue to fix the two LARGE stirrers together, then “paper mache’d” them by running a strip of newspaper, dampened with woodglue, down the length of the blade, over the “seam.”

3. The new large blade was carved to shape and beveled with a utility knife (the large stirrers were wonderfully soft). Then, each small stirrer was also carved to match the shape of the blade. This was glued on top of the larger blade, one on each side, and clamped into place.

4. Once the glue dried, I shaped everything up with a little jitterbug sander, and carved a channel down the center of the small stirrer portion of the blade for detail. I then ran a bead of wood putty down the channel and pulled the excess out with my finger (to give it a smooth, indented look). Wood putty was also used around the edges of the small stirrer and smoothed out to the edges of the main blade – to create a long bevel from the thick center to thin edge.

5. The whole thing was sanded smooth and covered in ~4 layers of Titebond woodglue. I sprayed the blade down with some off-brand silver paint, added details with black and silver acrylics, and covered the whole thing in 2-3 layers of Modge Podge for protection.

ww armor in progress 2

ww armor in progress

More information and pictures at The RPF.

Adafruit publishes a wide range of writing and video content, including interviews and reporting on the maker market and the wider technology world. Our standards page is intended as a guide to best practices that Adafruit uses, as well as an outline of the ethical standards Adafruit aspires to. While Adafruit is not an independent journalistic institution, Adafruit strives to be a fair, informative, and positive voice within the community – check it out here: adafruit.com/editorialstandards

Join Adafruit on Mastodon

Adafruit is on Mastodon, join in! adafruit.com/mastodon

Stop breadboarding and soldering – start making immediately! Adafruit’s Circuit Playground is jam-packed with LEDs, sensors, buttons, alligator clip pads and more. Build projects with Circuit Playground in a few minutes with the drag-and-drop MakeCode programming site, learn computer science using the CS Discoveries class on code.org, jump into CircuitPython to learn Python and hardware together, TinyGO, or even use the Arduino IDE. Circuit Playground Express is the newest and best Circuit Playground board, with support for CircuitPython, MakeCode, and Arduino. It has a powerful processor, 10 NeoPixels, mini speaker, InfraRed receive and transmit, two buttons, a switch, 14 alligator clip pads, and lots of sensors: capacitive touch, IR proximity, temperature, light, motion and sound. A whole wide world of electronics and coding is waiting for you, and it fits in the palm of your hand.

Have an amazing project to share? The Electronics Show and Tell is every Wednesday at 7pm ET! To join, head over to YouTube and check out the show’s live chat – we’ll post the link there.

Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!

Join over 36,000+ makers on Adafruit’s Discord channels and be part of the community! http://adafru.it/discord

CircuitPython – The easiest way to program microcontrollers – CircuitPython.org

Maker Business — “Packaging” chips in the US

Wearables — Enclosures help fight body humidity in costumes

Electronics — Transformers: More than meets the eye!

Python for Microcontrollers — Python on Microcontrollers Newsletter: Silicon Labs introduces CircuitPython support, and more! #CircuitPython #Python #micropython @ThePSF @Raspberry_Pi

Adafruit IoT Monthly — Guardian Robot, Weather-wise Umbrella Stand, and more!

Microsoft MakeCode — MakeCode Thank You!

EYE on NPI — Maxim’s Himalaya uSLIC Step-Down Power Module #EyeOnNPI @maximintegrated @digikey

New Products – Adafruit Industries – Makers, hackers, artists, designers and engineers! — #NewProds 7/19/23 Feat. Adafruit Matrix Portal S3 CircuitPython Powered Internet Display!

Get the only spam-free daily newsletter about wearables, running a "maker business", electronic tips and more! Subscribe at AdafruitDaily.com !

No Comments

No comments yet.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.