Thanks to a web-based service that converts publicly available HGT files you can now 3D Print ANY Landscape with this online STL Generator.
…The map above is for the Kelowna, British Columbia area. We picked that as a test location because it’s not only a very beautiful place, it’s also quite lumpy there. In the image at top you can see the resulting STL file generated for the Kelowna grid we selected.
- The service does not permit maps to cross “grid boundaries”. If you wish to do so, simply generate multiple STLs and stick them together in your 3D modeling tool.
- This service looks like an experimental version. It runs with an IP address only – not a domain name as far as we can tell, on Google servers. It may disappear or get clogged up.
- Pick the largest possible area, because tighter locations do not provide additional STL detail. The smallest selections will appear quite lo-poly.
- Do not print these models hollow! While you can often get away printing hollow models, the irregular top surface will defeat your hollow aspirations. Pick at least 10% fill to ensure you provide internal support for all those nooks and crannies.
- It turns out that most of the world is actually quite flat – who knew? Pick interesting areas to print.
ThatcherC, whoever you are, we, the world of 3D printing thanks you.
Every Thursday is #3dthursday here at Adafruit! The DIY 3D printing community has passion and dedication for making solid objects from digital models. Recently, we have noticed electronics projects integrated with 3D printed enclosures, brackets, and sculptures, so each Thursday we celebrate and highlight these bold pioneers!
Have you considered building a 3D project around an Arduino or other microcontroller? How about printing a bracket to mount your Raspberry Pi to the back of your HD monitor? And don’t forget the countless LED projects that are possible when you are modeling your projects in 3D!
The Adafruit Learning System has dozens of great tools to get you well on your way to creating incredible works of engineering, interactive art, and design with your 3D printer! We also offer the LulzBot TAZ – Open source 3D Printer and the Printrbot Simple Metal 3D Printer in our store. If you’ve made a cool project that combines 3D printing and electronics, be sure to let us know, and we’ll feature it here!
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — Limor Fried featured in NYC’s HER BIG IDEA!
Wearables — Get concrete solutions
Electronics — Probe Compensation
Biohacking — Dr. Rita Levi-Montalcini was a Centenarian Gonzo Biohacker
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.