Instructables user TheFrankTurk is a Captain America cosplayer and already has his costume ready for The Avengers: Age of Ultron. His daughter decided she wanted to join in on the fun and wanted to dress as the Winter Soldier. Frank and his wife figured out a way to create a jacket and cyborg arm that looks fantastic without breaking the bank. They modified a $30 biker jacket found at Target (one from a secondhand store would also work) and used silver metallic fabric and black and red craft foam to dress it up.
They cut off the sleeve on the cyborg arm portion of the costume and used it to make a template for the metal parts. They installed a zipper on the removed sleeve to make it wasy to take off and on. Then they covered the craft foam with silver fabric for the metallic effect:
1. Lay out one foam panel on a FLAT surface, and cut a panel of silver lamè just slightly larger than the foam.
2. Lay the Lamè flat on a table, shiny side up. Roll the lamè up onto an adequate piece of PVC or broom handle to get it into a straight, even, flat rolling surface. To start the roll, attach one end to the roller with blue painters tape for easy removal. Set aside the roll.
3. Lay out one sheet of foam on a FLAT, CLEAN surface.
4. In an aluminum (NOT PLASTIC!) container (for example: a $1 baking pan from the Dollar Store), mix equal parts Fabri-Tac and Acetone. Mix quickly and throughly.
5. Apply an even coat of the thinned out Fabri-Tac to the foam. Let the glue dry to tacky — about 45-60 seconds. You’ll know its ready when you touch it and you can pull a spider web up from the surface.
6. Start at one end of the foam, and roll the lame FLAT AND EVEN onto the tacky side of the foam. If you get bubbles, after you untape the roller roll the whole sheet flat once more.
7. set aside for a good hour or two to get a solid cure for the glue. Repeat for all sheets of foam.
Adafruit has had paid day off for voting for our team for years, if you need help getting that going for your organization, let us know – we can share how and why we did this as well as the good results. Here are some resources for voting by mail, voting in person, and some NY resources for our NY based teams as well. If there are additional resources to add, please let us know – adafruit.com/vote
Stop breadboarding and soldering – start making immediately! Adafruit’s Circuit Playground is jam-packed with LEDs, sensors, buttons, alligator clip pads and more. Build projects with Circuit Playground in a few minutes with the drag-and-drop MakeCode programming site, learn computer science using the CS Discoveries class on code.org, jump into CircuitPython to learn Python and hardware together, TinyGO, or even use the Arduino IDE. Circuit Playground Express is the newest and best Circuit Playground board, with support for CircuitPython, MakeCode, and Arduino. It has a powerful processor, 10 NeoPixels, mini speaker, InfraRed receive and transmit, two buttons, a switch, 14 alligator clip pads, and lots of sensors: capacitive touch, IR proximity, temperature, light, motion and sound. A whole wide world of electronics and coding is waiting for you, and it fits in the palm of your hand.