Martin O’Hanlon, author of Adventures in Minecraft, created
Minecraft Sat Nav Tool, a python script to help you navigate the massive ordnance survey Minecraft map of the UK!
…A couple of months back the ordnance survey created version 2 of their Minecraft map of Great Britain, its got loads more detail than the original, and is even more brilliant than there first one.
It is however a pain to get around… Welcome “Minecraft Sat Nav”, utterly ridiculous, totally pointless but at the same time brilliant.
Imagine you are exploring Minecraft Great Britain and you suddenly realise you need to get to Macclesfield but dont know the way, simple fire up Minecraft Sat Nav (patent pending!) and type navigate Macclesfield and it will give you a street by street navigation between your location and a town which was previously one of the world’s biggest producers of silk!
How does it work? Here are some facts:
- It’s a python program
- It uses a Canarymod minecraft server to host the map
- The RaspberryJuice plugin is used to talk to Minecraft
- It uses the MapQuest open API’s to get the locations and directions
- I reverse engineered Ordance Survey’s ‘conversion tool’ to work out how to turn eastings and northings into Minecraft co-ordinates
- I used Hannah Fry’s awesome python code to turn latitude and longitude into eastings and northings
- Its got a low tech ‘retro styled’ command line interface
Each Friday is PiDay here at Adafruit! Be sure to check out our posts, tutorials and new Raspberry Pi related products. Adafruit has the largest and best selection of Raspberry Pi accessories and all the code & tutorials to get you up and running in no time!