Thanks to Daniel for sending in his awesome project! Check out more info on hackaday.io
I started this project in 2012 when I bought my new Tacoma. The inspiration for this project came when I decided to have a hitch installed & opted to install a third-party trailer light module myself. The first step was to re-wire a string of 120VAC Christmas lights for 12VDC. It was a time-consuming process that I do not wish to repeat. I found 12VDC per five lights was ideal.
In 2013 I decided to use a number of relays to control each string. This functioned quite well, but felt stapled-together. I wanted more control. I realized I needed to go digital.
This last year I dove deep into re-learning what I had in college a few years ago. I am not an electrical engineer by trade. I had this project on a back-burner for nine months — until I realized I had a ton of work to do. I wanted to install the backbone which will support the many other things I want in my truck. This added a significant delay & almost led to the project being scrapped until next year…