DotStars are super fast clocking pixels that achieve a persistence-of-vision look with moving LED patterns. This project uses DotStars and the FastLED code library to create stardust magic.
Swing your dance fans slowly to mesmerise your audience with the sparkly, pretty lights. Swing them fast, and magical patterns and pictures appear. Look closely and you may see the spiders from Mars or the cats from Japan.
Three modes are included in the code, and you can easily add your own or modify the existing ones.
Let all the children boogie.
Materials For Building One Fan
Double your order to build two
- Pro Trinket 5v
- Pro Trinket LiPoly Backpack Add-on
- 1 m DotStar 60 Per Meter LEDs
- Tactile On/Off Switch with Leads
- 6mm Tactile momentary switch
- 500mAh Lithium Ion Polymer Battery
(add all to your cart on the right side of this page)
- Sheet of acrylic plastic, at least 9″ x 18″, and 1/8″ thick
- 1 yd sparkly fabric or silk
- Devcon Silicone Adhesive (1 tube per fan)
- E6000 glue
Tools & Misc
- Soldering iron & solder
- Heat shrink tubing
- Hot glue gun
- 26awg wire in assorted colors
- 3D printer (optional)
- Band saw or multi tool with a cutting attachment
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Maker Business — Transforming Today’s Bad Jobs into Tomorrow’s Good Jobs
Wearables — Snap a picture
Electronics — To Y5V or not to Y5V?
Biohacking — Ticks are Spreading an Allergy to Meat
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.