Patricia Bath, ophthalmologist, inventor and academic – (invented the Laserphaco Probe for cataract treatment).
Patricia Era Bath (born November 4, 1942 in the Harlem section of New York City) is an American ophthalmologist, inventor and academic. She has broken ground for women and African Americans in a number of areas. Prior to Bath, no woman had served on the staff of the Jules Stein Eye Institute, headed a post-graduate training program in ophthalmology, or been elected to the honorary staff of the UCLA Medical Center (an honor bestowed on her after her retirement). Before Bath, no black person had served as a resident in ophthalmology atNew York University and no black woman had ever served on staff as a surgeon at the UCLA Medical Center. Bath is the first African-American woman doctor to receive a patent for a medical purpose. Her Laserphaco Probe is used to treat cataracts. The holder of four patents, she also founded the company of the American Institute for the Prevention of Blindness in Washington, D.C – Wikipedia.
- Patricia Bath Biography.
- Changing the face of medicine.
- Top 10 inventors.
- Patricia Bath, first African American woman doctor to receive a patent.
- Fight for the Right to Sight.
- Medical Makers.
- Pat. No. 4,7443,60: Apparatus for ablating and removing cataract lenses, issued 17 May 1988.
- Pat. No. 5,843,071: Method and apparatus for ablating and removing cataract lenses, issued 1 December 1998
- Pat. No. 5,919,186: Laser apparatus for surgery of cataractous lenses, issued 6 July 1999
- Pat. No. 6,083,192: Pulsed ultrasound method for fragmenting/emulsifying and removing cataractous lenses, issued 4 July 2000.
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — How Intel Makes a Chip
Wearables — Tape tactics
Electronics — Ground connections cooler via more vias
Biohacking — Itch Tracker for Apple Watch
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.