Make your own automated vertical hydroponic garden with Raspberry Pi and Arduino. via instructables
We call our project RUFS, for Robotic Urban Farm System
• A vertical hydroponic garden
• Allowing for high density yields and shorter growth cycles
• Reducing resource consumption – water, fertilizer and space
• Labor saving – no weeds or soil to till
• Higher consistency of crops with great tasting results
• Maintained by micro-controllers (Raspberry Pi & Arduino)
• Watering cycles – monitor and auto refill levels
• Plant nutrients and pH – monitor and correct
• Temperature monitoring
• Air Circulation & Lighting controls (for indoor operation)
• Smart and Connected
• Farm Controller App for smartphone, tablet and pc
• Get notified when the system needs a refill
• Alerts when something isn’t running as expected
• Year round growing – fresh produce every month of the year
• Perfect for Urban setting with limited space
• Reduced operational time and maintenance with automation
• Eliminate the guesswork of nutrients and watering cycles
Green and Efficient
Water is recirculated which allows for great efficiency, often more than 90% efficiently on water consumption.
Our vertical design allows for a higher density of plants in a much smaller footprint. With a space less than 5′ x 5′ we are growing 160 plants.
The system is maintained with a series of Arduino controllers. Watering cycles, pH levels, nutrient levels, lighting cycles and ventilation fans are all maintained via the Arduino’s. The Arduino’s can be networked to a Raspberry Pi using I2C to allow all system parameters to be monitored and updated in real time. The Raspberry Pi is further used to maintain a historical log of all the systems running data and make it available via a set if web services. A companion smartphone/tablet app interfaces with the Raspberry Pi allowing for configuring and monitoring your entire system from anywhere in the world. The Raspberry Pi communicates with app via a JSON web service. The steps are outlined here, additional project information including plant suggestions and updates are available on our website at http://www.bltrobotics.com/
8-6-2021 (August 6, 2021) is the Snakiest day of the year and it’s also this year’s CircuitPython Day! The day highlights all things CircuitPython and Python on Hardware. See you there!
Stop breadboarding and soldering – start making immediately! Adafruit’s Circuit Playground is jam-packed with LEDs, sensors, buttons, alligator clip pads and more. Build projects with Circuit Playground in a few minutes with the drag-and-drop MakeCode programming site, learn computer science using the CS Discoveries class on code.org, jump into CircuitPython to learn Python and hardware together, TinyGO, or even use the Arduino IDE. Circuit Playground Express is the newest and best Circuit Playground board, with support for CircuitPython, MakeCode, and Arduino. It has a powerful processor, 10 NeoPixels, mini speaker, InfraRed receive and transmit, two buttons, a switch, 14 alligator clip pads, and lots of sensors: capacitive touch, IR proximity, temperature, light, motion and sound. A whole wide world of electronics and coding is waiting for you, and it fits in the palm of your hand.