As everyone at some point will recognise the Raspberry Pi doesn’ t include any kind of shutdown button. So the only way to power it off is by unplugging it from the power supply. To make sure you get no corruption of your data files on the SD card you should shutdown the Raspberry before powering it off. So the whole procedure can be a bit annyoing especially if you want to use the Raspberry as some kind of embedded PC e.g. a media server or an internet radio.
The Raspberry Pi Shutdown Button provides a small circuit that includes the features:
- sending a shutdown signal to the Raspberry if the Shutdown Button is pressed
- waiting for the Raspberry to shut down
- Powering off the Raspberry after save shutdown
- Powering on the Raspberry after the Button is pressed again
- LED light indicating the current state: On / Shutdown / Off
Each Friday is PiDay here at Adafruit! Be sure to check out our posts, tutorials and new Raspberry Pi related products. Adafruit has the largest and best selection of Raspberry Pi accessories and all the code & tutorials to get you up and running in no time!