Thanks to Alessandro for sending in this cool cartesian plotter project! Check out more here.
Recently the famous site evilmadscientist introduced the new art robot called “Axidraw“.I saw the robot in action and it is very similar to the robot I built in the 2015, called “Cartesio”, a 3d printed cartesian robot. So, I decided to publish in open source all the details about Cartesio.
Cartesio is similar to Axidraw, the main differences are:
- Cartesio is a cartesian robot (xy movement) while Axidraw is a type of corexy movement (t-bot I think)
- Cartesio is based on Arduino, while Axidraw is based on the EBB Driver board
- Cartesio has a large working area (40×30), like an A3 paper, while Axidraw has a normal working area (30×20), like an A4 paper.
- Cartesio is 3d printed, while Axidraw is in metal (? this is not very clear watching the pictures)
- Axidraw can write with a fountain pen, Cartesio not (yet)
- Axidraw costs 450$, Cartesio costs 60$. Not bad!
I’m interested in robots that can draw so in the last years I made many drawing robots. Cartesio is the last experiment. I saw a cartesian arm and it was very interesting, so I decided to build one.