1. If Edison is OFF and +5V USB is plugged in. That will turn ON Q1.1 and turn OFF Q2.1 resulting in logic high for PWRBTN# on Edison. Basically that will do nothing for Edison and it will stay OFF.
2. Note that since the Edison module is OFF, the gate of p-channel FET Q1.2 is 0 volts and the pin 2 of R4 is at VBAT while pin 1 of R4 is ground because Q1.1 is ON.
3. Now removing the +5V USB will make the gate of Q2.1 to VBAT thereby turning it ON. This will pull down PWRBTN# pin on Edison module.
4. Once Edison is turned on, net V3P3_Edison will become 3.3V turning OFF p-channel FET Q1.2. This will lead to the gate of Q2.1 pull down to GND by R5. This will bring back the PWRBTN# of Edison high.
5. Note that once Edison is turned on, if you insert +5V USB, nothing will happen.
Make a robot friend with Adafruit’s CRICKIT – A Creative Robotics & Interactive Construction Kit. It’s an add-on to our popular Circuit Playground Express, FEATHER and other platforms to make and program robots with CircuitPython, MakeCode, and Arduino. Start controlling motors, servos, solenoids. You also get signal pins, capacitive touch sensors, a NeoPixel driver and amplified speaker output. It complements & extends your boards so you can still use all the goodies on the microcontroller, now you have a robotics playground as well.