Via Hacker News:
Ariel lost 20 lbs of weight and documented his progress using a series of scripts. He utilized the Vowpal Wabbit (VW) machine learning project. The VW project is co-sponsored by Microsoft and Yahoo Research. Ariel had logged his data as a simple CSV file using only weight, sleep, exercise and foods consumed as data points. He then wrote a perl script to convert his CSV over to the vowpal-wabbit traning-set.
He learned which foods, exercise and sleep patterns showed a positive correlation with weight loss. The takeaways from his N=1 study are:
- Sleeping longer consistently appeared as the #1 factor in losing weight
- Lack of sleep did the opposite: too little sleep lead to weight gains.
- Lack of sleep did the opposite: too little sleep lead to weight gains
- Carbs made me gain weight. The worst were high-starch and sugary foods
- Fatty and oily foods did the opposite: they were positively correlated with weight-loss
- Skipping breakfast and Stop eating earlier in the evening before going to bed.
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — Lessons Learned Scaling Airbnb 100X
Wearables — Start with a sketch
Electronics — When do I use X10?
Biohacking — What I Learned from Weighing Myself 15 Times in a Day
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.