Garmin is known for their quality GPS and fitness devices. In recent years Garmin has entered the world of video with their VIRB line of action cameras (think GoPro). They provide an editing tool that allows you to overlay video with GPS and performance stats. Garmin’s VIRB Edit tool is simple, free and available for Windows and OS/X. It will work with any video camera and GPX file. I recorded this afternoon’s mail run using a $60 fake GoPro and a Garmin Vivoactive HR watch. It would have also worked to use my cell phone to record the video and Strava to record the run stats.
Here is how I made the video in six easy steps:
- Download Garmin’s VIRB Edit Software
- Record Video on any Device (GoPro, Phone)
- Convert video to MP4 format ( Handbrake | iMovie )
- Import the MP4 video file into Garmin’s VIRB Edit
- Import the GPX or FIT file into VIRB Edit
- Export to MP4 and upload to YouTube