Today Adafruit honors the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Martin Luther King Jr: I Have A Dream (video).
A few logistics for customers to get out the way, on our blog and across the site you’ll see Adafruit not shipping orders January 16th in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, any orders placed after 11am EST Friday January 13 will go out Tuesday January 17.
“The moral arc of the universe bends at the elbow of justice.”
For Adafruit team members today is a paid day off, it’s a recognized and observed paid day off, service and volunteering is encouraged. Additionally, Adafruit gives 3 paid days off for charity for Adafruit team members.
Looking at some stats only about 37% of US companies recognize Martin Luther King Jr. Day and less than 10% of manufacturing companies. We have been told that “paid days off” decrease productivity, we’ve seen the opposite, people care about the company they work for, the values it has and the things & people celebrated.
“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, What are you doing for others?”
Martin Luther King, Jr. day is uniquely American. Many countries have Independence days, labor days and religious holidays, this holiday is ours and only ours that recognizes devotion to human rights.
“Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline.”
We’ll be back tomorrow.
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter”.
Resources and more
- Volunteer & give back at http://MLKDay.gov
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day provides a time to reflect – Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Is MLK Day a bank holiday? A look at what’s open and closed – USA Today.
- Only 37% of employers give off Martin Luther King Day, but number at all-time high – Cleveland.com
- Less Than 2 in 5 U.S. Workers Receive Paid Day Off For Martin Luther King, Jr. Federal Holiday – Bloomberg.
- MLKDay – Twitter.
- Celebrate the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. – PBS.
- Celebrate MLK at These Historic Civil Rights Sites in the Village – NYC.
- Civil Rights Photography – from the High Museum of Art, Atlanta.
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — Apple acquires Workflow
Wearables — Conduct with care
Electronics — Must read MOSFET material
Biohacking — NinjaPCR – Open Source #iot DNA Amplifier
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.