uBiome has put out a an appropriately timed article highlighting all the presidents that we have lost to bacteria related issues. Below is a brief summary of troubles in the white house that were belived to be caused by bacteria. I suggest reading the article for the full explanation.
- William Henry Harrison – gastroenteritis (a bacteria infection)
- James Knox Polk – gastrointestinal infection
- Zachary Taylor – gastrointestinal infection
- George Washington – Haemophilus influenzae bacterium
- William McKinley – septic shock / gangrene (gunshot)
- Calvin Coolidge Jr. (presidents son) – Staphylococcus aureus (untreated toe blister)