One particularly interesting nootropic for the over caffeinated crowd is l-theanine. This is a smart drug that naturally occurs in teas and some mushrooms. In Japan l-theanine is added to commercial teas, soft drinks and desserts. This substance is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by the FDA and is available in the US through the supplement market.
- Mental Alertness (Increased Alpha Brain Waves) – L-theanine, a natural constituent in tea, and its effect on mental state and The deployment of intersensory selective attention: a high-density electrical mapping study of the effects of theanine.
- Combine with Caffeine for reduced susceptibility to distractions – The combined effects of L-theanine and caffeine on cognitive performance and mood and jitter management.
- Calming –L-Theanine reduces psychological and physiological stress responses.
- Sleep – The effects of L-theanine (Suntheanine®) on objective sleep quality in boys with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial.
- Memory – A combination of green tea extract and l-theanine improves memory and attention in subjects with mild cognitive impairment: a double-blind placebo-controlled study.
50mg – 250mg is the normal dosage range. Reports of stomach irritation occur at dosages over 400mg. L-theanine is water-soluble. I normally dissolve 100mg powdered l-theanine in water and take up to four times daily.
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — Alibaba to invest $15b in tech, set up research labs around the world
Wearables — Hand beading mimicry
Electronics — Trigger happy oscilloscope?
Biohacking — Biohacking: Visioneer – AI Glasses to Assist the Visually Impaired
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.