Dave Asprey of Bulletproof has a new book and it is different from his last one “The Bulletproof Diet“. Dave’s new book “Head Strong” has only been out for one week, but it is sure to be a hit. It is less focused on weight loss and more about optimizing our mitochondria through diet, exercise, meditation, lighting and supplementation. Why focus on mitochondria? Mr. Asbury explains in layman’s terms how our mitochondria dictate how much brainpower you have right now. He is all about getting rid of the brain fog and increasing our patience, empathy and ability to be present. What I love about this book is how it is the perfect introduction to biohacking that you might give your parents or a friend who is not necessarily technical, but wants to improve their health through quantifiable alternatives.
In Head Strong, Asprey shows us that all of this is possible—and more. Using his simple lifestyle modifications (or “hacks”) to take advantage of how the structure of your brain works, readers will learn how to take their mental performance to the next level. Combining the latest findings in neuroscience and neurobiology with a hacker-inspired “get it done now” perspective, Asprey offers a program structured around key areas of brain performance that will help you:
- Power the brain with exactly what it needs to perform at its best all day long
- Eliminate the sources of “kryptonite,” both nutritional and environmental, that make the brain slower.
- Supercharge the cellular powerhouses of our brains, the mitochondria, to eliminate cravings and turn up mental focus.
- Reverse inflammation to perform better right now, then stay sharp and energized well into your golden years.
- Promote neuron growth to enhance processing speed and reinforce new learning—hotwiring your brain for success.
Asprey’s easy to follow, two-week program offers a detailed plan to supercharge brain performance, including: which foods to eat and which ones to avoid, how to incorporate the right kinds of physical activity into your day, a detox protocol for your home and body; meditation and breathing for performance, recommended brain-boosting supplements; and how to adjust the lighting in your home and work space to give your brain the quality light it thrives on.