Adam Alter’s excellent new book “Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked” introduced me to reSTART a center which treats video game, internet, cellphone and VR addictions. The recovery programs last for multiple months and include offerings from ages 13 and up.
reStart is located on a sprawing 32-acre campus in Monroe, WA. You might want to check out their Virtual addiction test. Should you answer “yes” to more than five questions that shows a high probability of addiction. reStart hopes to help individuals reconnect to real life activities and improve all forms of health (emotional and physical).
1. Do you feel “out of control” when using the Internet; e.g., feeling. “Carried away”?
2. When not on the Internet, do you find that you are preoccupied with the Internet or computers, (e.g., thinking about or reliving past experiences on the Internet, planning your next experience on the Internet, or thinking of ways to gain access to the Internet in the future?)
3. Do you find that you need to spend greater amounts of time on the Internet to achieve satisfaction similar to previous events?
4. Do you find yourself seeking more sexually stimulating material in order to achieve the same result as previously?
5. Have you repeated unsuccessful efforts to control cut back or stop using the Internet?
6. Do you find yourself to be restless or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop using the Internet?
7. Are you using the Internet as a way of escaping from problems or relieving a bad mood, (e.g., feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety or depression)?
8. After spending what you consider an excessive amount of time on the Internet and vowing not to do so the next day, do you find yourself back on the next day or soon after?
9. Do you find yourself lying to family members, therapists or others to conceal the extent of your involvement with the Internet?
10. Do you find yourself committing illegal acts related to your use of the Internet?
11. Have you jeopardized or lost a significant relationship, job or educational or career opportunity? Because of your use of the Internet?
Score: _______________ (If you score five or over, there is a high probability that you are addicted to the Internet.)
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — Steve Ballmer Serves Up a Fascinating Data Trove
Wearables — Chalk it up
Electronics — Look to ferrites (no, not ferrets, the European polecat) when faced with high frequency
Biohacking — A Run in the Altra IQ Smart Shoes
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Adafruit has a "be excellent to each other" comment policy. Help us keep the community here positive and helpful. Stick to the topic, be respectful of makers of all ages and skill levels. Be kind, and don't spam - Thank you!