Help support A Workshop of Our Own by backing their Indiegogo campaign!
WOO’s mission is to create a professional woodworking environment which cultivates and promotes the careers of women and gender non-conforming craftspeople in our field. In doing so we aim to:
- AMPLIFY OUR VOICES
- BE A COLLABORATIVE SPACE FOR PROFESSIONALS
- TRAIN ALL SKILL LEVELS IN A SUPPORTIVE ENVIRONMENT
- PROVIDE APPRENTICESHIP OPPORTUNITIES
We provide shared shop space and classes in our 6400 square foot woodshop in Baltimore. At A Workshop of Our Own, or WOO for short, we aim to amplify our voices, strive for excellence in our craft, provide apprenticeship opportunities to underrepresented genders, and reimagine workshop culture.
Timeline of WOO and our building:
- 2015, Founder Sarah Marriage receives the John D Mineck Furniture Fellowship through the Society of Arts of Crafts, a $25,000 award, to launch the project
- 2016, we secure our lease on our space and begin to build the woodshop
- 2017, our building goes up for sale. We propose to the landlords that we buy it if they give us the time to crowd-fund. They accept our proposal, and we start fundraising!
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — HAX Hardware Trends 2017
Wearables — Stay put, paint!
Electronics — Clarify your supply
Biohacking — Nucleus 7 – A Native Cochlear Sound Processor for iPhone
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.