Although it recently closed here is a moving tribute the some great manufacturing from Gothamist:
Etna opened in 1946, and until recently was one of the last remaining tool and die shops in Manhattan. After years of watching the neighborhood grow and transform from its Bond Street location for 70 years, James Galuppo, the owner, has reluctantly closed the shop’s doors.
Tool and die employees are a class of machinists in the manufacturing industry and make a variety of things one doesn’t usually think twice about—jigs, fixtures, dies, molds, machine tools, cutting tools and more. Galuppo invented the anti-coin theft device that was installed in most of the city’s pay phones. ConEd was also one of Etna’s biggest clients, making the tools they use every day in the streets. But the shop’s patrons varied: Galuppo developed dies that were used to cut out fabricated flowers that are still on display at The Natural History Museum. He also helped neighborhood fixtures, outfitting salons with hair dryer holders, and designing a custom memorial piece for the FDNY on Great Jones Street after 9/11. Galuppo regularly helped members of the Hells Angels who needed a custom item for their bike.