Autodesk to lay off 1,150 as company restructures – San Francisco Chronicle. Will re-balance investments to focus on strategic priorities …divesting from some areas and increasing investment in others.
Autodesk plans to lay off about 1,150 employees amid a major restructuring effort by the San Rafael software company.
The company announced plans to cut about 13 percent of its workforce Tuesday after releasing its third-quarter earnings for the current fiscal year. It is unclear where and when the layoffs will occur.
“We are still working through the details so cannot share the local impact at this time,” a spokeswoman for Autodesk said.
Autodesk creates 3-D-imaging software that is used by architects, engineers and those in the construction and media industries. It was created in 1982 and has about 9,000 employees. Of those, about 2,000 work in the company’s San Francisco and San Rafael offices.
Autodesk’s restructuring plan includes transitioning from perpetual software licenses to software subscriptions and cloud computing services. It is also creating more flexible license agreements.
- Episode 2 of Women in Hardware: The Interview Series Featuring Heather Kerrick and Alex Glow @autodesk @hacksterio.
- Autodesk Moves EagleCAD to Subscription Model.
- Arduino co-founder joins AutoDesk to work on CadSoft EAGLE.
- Sale of CadSoft | Premier Farnell @CadSoftTech purchased by @autodesk.
- “State of the Quirky” Town meeting – $100m loss, outlines Quirky 2.0 @quirky (Carl Bass, was investor, former CEO of Autodesk).
- @autodesk introduces Spark – Open Software Platform for 3D Printing.
- Breaking news @autodesk now has a 3D printer…
- Autodesk Acquires Tinkercad.
- Interview with Carl Bass of Autodesk.
- Autodesk Acquires Instructables: What It Means for Makers.
- Autodesk EULA (2011).
- Autodesk wins copyright appeal, Autodesk software cannot be resold on eBay by a man who bought a copy at a garage sale (2010).
From wikipedia (acquisitions in the makery’ world)..
- On August 1, 2011, Autodesk announced the acquisition of Instructables, a website and platform where users can share their ideas and collaborate with a variety of do-it-yourself projects.
- On May 18, 2013, TinkerCAD announced it had been bought by Autodesk. TinkerCAD is a browser-based 3D solid modelling tool for rapid prototyping known for its simple interface and entry-level ease of use.
- On June 27, 2016, Autodesk acquired CadSoft Computer GmbH, creator of the PCB design software EAGLE, from Premier Farnell.
Have an amazing project to share? Join the SHOW-AND-TELL every Wednesday night at 7:30pm ET on Google+ Hangouts.
Join us every Wednesday night at 8pm ET for Ask an Engineer!
Learn resistor values with Mho’s Resistance or get the best electronics calculator for engineers “Circuit Playground” – Adafruit’s Apps!
Maker Business — Presentation: Ten Year Futures – Benedict Evans
Wearables — Toy with inspiration
Electronics — Servo Pulses
Biohacking — Nutrigenomics – Personalized Vitamin Supplements Based on DNA
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.