We’re almost ready for a 2.2 release of CircuitPython. Thank you if you can test this release candidate! Download from the GitHub release page.
Changes since 2.1.0
- Frozen modules in the Circuit Playground Express builds are updated to their latest releases.
- round() was always returning `0′. Fixed to return correct value.
- CircuitPython now writes out version information to boot_out.txt, before boot.py runs when you hard-reset the board or plug it in.
- audiobusio.PDMIn: MEMS microphone support is improved. (There is a MEMS microphone on the Circuit Playground Express.) We fixed several bugs that could cause hard crashes. The minimum and default sampling frequency is now 16 kHz (16000). The microphone is clocked all the time to avoid having to wait for it to start up, which can take up to 0.1 seconds. When you first create a PDMIn object, CircuitPython waits for startup_delay seconds (default 0.11 seconds) so that the first data from the microphone will be useful. The digital filter used to convert microphone data into PCM data is now much faster. Thanks @ladyada!
- busio.SPI now has an additional operation SPI.write_readinto() which does bidirectional input/output. Certain SPI devices need this.
- AnalogIn.value is now much faster. It now uses the native 12-bit ADC resolution instead of doing 16-bit via oversampling. Range is still 0-65535. Also uses a faster clock rate.
- microcontroller.on_next_reset(): Change the behavior of what happens when the reset button is pressed: whether a normal reboot occurs, whether to go into safe mode, or whether to go directly to the bootloader. See microcontroller.RunMode.
- Add missing Feather M0 Adalogger pin names and correct documentation. Thanks @stewmystre!
- Enable framebuf module in ESP8266 port. Thanks @jerryneedell!
- Add support for future products. Thanks @ladyada!
- Add _stage module, to support the CircuitPython Stage game library. Thanks @deshipu!
- Gracefully reset gamepad module after soft reset. Thanks @deshipu!
- Update USB PID for Feather M0 Express.
- Allow zero-length reads and writes for busio.SPI. busio.I2C still disallows empty reads. Thanks @deshipu!
- Add board definition for the uGame handheld console. Thanks @deshipu!
- Add board definition for Feather M0 Express with larger SPI flash chip. Thanks @dastels!
- Document resetting CIRCUITPY using flash erase programs and .uf2’s.
Documentation is available here.
Here are all the changes since 2.1.0.
Thank you to all who used, tested, contributed, helped out, and participated on GitHub and/or discord:
@mrmcwethy, @stewmystre, @deshipu, @jerryneedell, @dastels, @kattni, @ladyada, @tannewt, @dhalbert, @tdicola, Andon, NorthernPike, willingc, brad, Kurt H, hukuzatuna, Janisku7, cater, onebeartoe, JohnPark, Teevo, process1183, siddacious, Cruadeium, adafruit, microwattbott, cyrborg5, Factory Factory, jramsdale, Pedro, pcurryinahurry, adamwolf, Olanskyl, HappyDay, Raiden, TechGuy12, dobra-dobra, MattBoston, donalus, cartere, Azure Skies, CGrover, ntoll, petroochio, donalus, mpalemuse, BravoDelta, ogredrew, cascade, Darragh, BWingZero, histo, TG-Techie, ericwertz, Jack, Dao20, fede2, oldcrow, waldo, ryespy, nis, chalkers, Skr0d, Billy, Dad, Instinctive, ATMakers, Cat, sommersoft, Coldreactor, BillOwens, tastemakerchuck, CrimsonKringle, Al Bee, vj pussycat, Daikojun, rocketcoder, Ringo, and surely more we have missed. Join us on the Discord chat to collaborate.
- For Express boards, simply download the bundle for your release and copy the lib folder onto your CIRCUITPY drive. New bundle release are created whenever the included libraries are updated.
- For Gemma M0 and Trinket M0, the library bundle is too large. These are the 2.0.0 libraries and files that are shipped with the boards: Gemma M0 files; Trinket M0 files. You will probably want to update the library .mpy files with the ones from the latest bundle.