Happy New Year! We’re almost ready for a 2.2 release of CircuitPython. Here’s 2.2.0-rc.2, the next candidate release. Thank you if you can test it. Download from the GitHub release page.
Check out our new Welcome to CircuitPython! guide!
Changes since 2.2.0-rc1
- audiobusio.PDMIn: (Microphone support.) Fix error in digital filter loop, which was generating quite inaccurate sample values. Fix crashes caused by buffers of certain sizes.
- Fix Arduino bootloader support so that a 1200 baud reset will be noticed and Arduino IDE will be able to upload.
- Intermittent power (e.g., bobbling the battery connector) could cause CircuitPython to think that the CIRCUITPY filesystem was damaged and erase it. Now, it waits two seconds before erasing, and double-checks just before erasing to see if filesystem still appears to be damaged.
- Update CPX frozen libraries to their latest versions (including tap support on LIS3DH). Include library version info (__version__). Don’t include example directories.
- Fix readthedocs documentation build.
Changes since 2.1.0
- Frozen modules in the Circuit Playground Express builds are updated to their latest releases.
- round() was always returning `0′. Fixed to return correct value.
- CircuitPython now writes out version information to boot_out.txt, before boot.py runs when you hard-reset the board or plug it in.
- audiobusio.PDMIn: MEMS microphone support is improved. (There is a MEMS microphone on the Circuit Playground Express.) We fixed several bugs that could cause hard crashes. The minimum and default sampling frequency is now 16 kHz (16000). The microphone is clocked all the time to avoid having to wait for it to start up, which can take up to 0.1 seconds. When you first create a PDMIn object, CircuitPython waits for startup_delay seconds (default 0.11 seconds) so that the first data from the microphone will be useful. The digital filter used to convert microphone data into PCM data is now much faster. Thanks @ladyada!
- busio.SPI now has an additional operation SPI.write_readinto() which does bidirectional input/output. Certain SPI devices need this.
- AnalogIn.value is now much faster. It now uses the native 12-bit ADC resolution instead of doing 16-bit via oversampling. Range is still 0-65535. Also uses a faster clock rate.
- microcontroller.on_next_reset(): Change the behavior of what happens when the reset button is pressed: whether a normal reboot occurs, whether to go into safe mode, or whether to go directly to the bootloader. See microcontroller.RunMode.
- Add missing Feather M0 Adalogger pin names and correct documentation. Thanks @stewmystre!
- Enable framebuf module in ESP8266 port. Thanks @jerryneedell!
- Add support for future products. Thanks @ladyada!
- Add _stage module, to support the CircuitPython Stage game library. Thanks @deshipu!
- Gracefully reset gamepad module after soft reset. Thanks @deshipu!
- Update USB PID for Feather M0 Express.
- Allow zero-length reads and writes for busio.SPI. busio.I2C still disallows empty reads. Thanks @deshipu!
- Add board definition for the uGame handheld console. Thanks @deshipu!
- Add board definition for Feather M0 Express with larger SPI flash chip. Thanks @dastels!
- Document resetting CIRCUITPY using flash erase programs and .uf2’s.
Documentation is available in readthedocs.io.
Here are all the changes since 2.1.0. This release is based on MicroPython 1.9.2. Support upstream MicroPython by purchasing a PyBoard (from Adafruit here).
Thank you to all who used, tested, contributed, helped out, and participated on GitHub and/or discord:
@mrmcwethy, @stewmystre, @deshipu, @jerryneedell, @dastels, @kattni, @ladyada, @tannewt, @dhalbert, @tdicola, Andon, NorthernPike, willingc, brad, Kurt H, hukuzatuna, Janisku7, cater, onebeartoe, JohnPark, Teevo, process1183, siddacious, Cruadeium, adafruit, microwattbott, cyrborg5, Factory Factory, jramsdale, Pedro, pcurryinahurry, adamwolf, Olanskyl, HappyDay, Raiden, TechGuy12, dobra-dobra, MattBoston, donalus, cartere, Azure Skies, CGrover, ntoll, petroochio, donalus, mpalemuse, BravoDelta, ogredrew, cascade, Darragh, BWingZero, histo, TG-Techie, ericwertz, Jack, Dao20, fede2, oldcrow, waldo, ryespy, nis, chalkers, Skr0d, Billy, Dad, Instinctive, ATMakers, Cat, sommersoft, Coldreactor, BillOwens, tastemakerchuck, CrimsonKringle, Al Bee, vj pussycat, Daikojun, rocketcoder, Ringo, and surely more we have missed. Join us on the Discord chat to collaborate.
To install follow the instructions in our Welcome to CircuitPython! guide. To install the latest libraries, see this page in that guide.
All builds except ESP8266 are available as both UF2 and bin files here along with test builds.